YOBS – Youth of B’nai Sholom – closed out the 2014-2015 year with a successful meeting in which we said good bye and good luck to our graduating seniors, enjoyed bagels and salad, and elected officers for 2015-2016. The meeting was attended by nine members and nine parents, as well as Rabbi Cashman. Prior to this, YOBS met several times in the Fall, highlighted by an apple picking day at Indian ladder farms attended by ten members.
For those of you who aren’t already aware of it, YOBS – Youth of B’nai Sholom – is B’nai Sholom’s own temple youth group. Affiliated with the URJ’s National Federation of Temple Youth (NFTY) via its Northeast Region, YOBS is open to all B’nai Sholom members and their Jewish friends in grades 9-12.
On behalf of the Youth Committee, we'd like to share the exciting news that Rabbi Cashman will be taking on our Youth Engagement portfolio. We are very excited to have his steady hand and decades of experience in this role! Rabbi Cashman will be helping YOBS members and Board of Directors design and run a wide variety of programs in 2015-2016, ranging from fun and holiday-themed programs, creative services, and attendance and participation in NFTY-Northeast conclaves and other events (see box below for Fall highlights).
Officers elected at the meeting were:
• Finance Vice President: Max Suib;
• Membership & Communication Vice President: Hugh Smith;
• Programming Vice President: Asher Novkov-Bloom;
• Social Action Vice President: Ben Klamka;
• NFTY Representative: Noah Degroult-Elias.
Open positions include:
• Executive Vice President;
• Religion & Culture Vice President.
Please let us know if your son or daughter might be interested in filling one of these positions!
While we’re at it, please let us know if you are interested in serving on the Youth Committee, which is co-chaired by Liz Davis and Joel Bloom. The committee will likely meet 4-6 times during the year and will help with planning and logistical support for the kids’ events – something most of you would probably be doing anyway! Thanks and we look forward to seeing you and your kids this year!
– Joel Bloom & Liz Davis, Youth Committee Co-Chairs
YOBS Fall 2015 Events:
• August 19-23: NFTY-NE Summer Institute at Eisner Camp
• September 20: YOBS Sukkah Building & Decorating
• October 4: NFTY-NE Leadership Training Institute (loc. TBA;
• October 25: NFTY-NE Board Meeting (Framingham, MA)
• November 8: YOBS Planning Meeting
• November 20-22: NFTY-NE Fall Conclave (Newton, MA)
• December 8: YOBS Does Latkes
• December 26-30: NFTY-NE Winter Institute (Eisner Camp)